- 1/2cup cold low-fat (1%) milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 ounce sextra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded (1/2 cup, packed)
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless top loin steak, very thinly sliced*
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced in very thin wedges
- 1 green sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 whole-grain Italian rolls (each about 6 inches long and 4 oz.), halved lengthwise
1. For cheese sauce, in a small saucepan whisk together milk and flour to blend. Heat and stir over medium-high heat to bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened. Stir in cheese and 1/4 tsp. salt untl cheese is melted. Simmer about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until sauce is velvety and thick. Remove from heat. Cover surface with foil to keep warm and to prevent a skin from forming on top.
2. In a large nonstick skillet heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper. Add to skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, just until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate; cover with foil to keep warm.
3. In the same skillet cook onion and sweet peppers in 1 Tbsp. hot oil over medium-high heat for 12 to 14 minutes, until edges are browned and onion is tender. Season with 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper.
4. Lightly toast split rolls. Evenly divide the onion-pepper mixture, meat, and cheese sauce among all rolls