- 1 1 3/4 - 2 pound purchased roasted chicken
- 1 medium onion, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3cup cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/2cup tomato sauce
- 3 - 4 tablespoons seeded and finely chopped fresh red and/or green serrano chile peppers
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 6 kaiser rolls or hamburger buns, split
- Bread-and-butter pickle slices or sweet pickle slices
1. Cut the meat from the chicken, discarding skin and bones. Use two forks or your fingers to pull meat into shreds.
2. In a large skillet cook onion in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally to separate slices into rings. Add vinegar. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
3. Stir in tomato sauce, serrano peppers, thyme, molasses, the water, and salt. Bring to boiling. Add the chicken, stirring gently to coat. Heat through. Serve on split rolls with pickles. Makes 6 sandwiches.